Ergebnis 1 bis 2 von 2

Thema: Could Amplitude's Next Big Game Be a 'Colonization Like' Game?

Registrierter Benutzer Avatar von Blake00

Frage Could Amplitude's Next Big Game Be a 'Colonization Like' Game?

(Apologies for using English)

Very excited to hear the recent news! Amplitude have re-imagined Master of Orion to Endless Space, Master of Magic to Endless Legend and now theyre taking on the big one that started them all, Civilization to a game called Humankind.

I for one welcome our new TBS overlords, and I would like to remind Amplitude that as a retro gaming youtuber and promoter I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their forums and store pages.

(Simpsons joke )

So whats next after Humankind? Well this of course makes me think that theres only one Micropose 90s 4x TBS great left unconquered, Sid Meiers Colonization!

I would love to see what those guys could do with that formula. The original of course is a great game and many times I found it even more addictive than some of the other greats. I recently replayed the original in HD thanks to the old Windows 3.1 version being resizable, and even to this day it is ridiculously addictive.

The Firaxis Civilization IV Colonization sequel/remake took advantage of some of Civ4s cool features like upgradable units with lots of cool skills encouraging you to look after your armies and develop them up RPG style!

Obviously Amplitude would need to twist their version into something new and different to make it their own game (and not get sued lol) and theres plenty of interesting ideas from other games that could add to the experience.

For example you could tell that the Age of Empires 3 guys at Ensemble were big Colonization fans as they were able to take Colonizations good old Home port city and turn it into a big home city with numerous upgrades and specials that could change the outcome of a Age3 RTS match (call in a second fort card, yes a please!). A TBS Colonization game with RPGish heavily upgradable & expandable home city would be a very cool and addictive thing. Obviously that leads to some interesting things when the time comes to rebel against the crown (eg do you benefit or suffer from a upgraded European home city), so maybe it could instead be your home capital in the new world that you upgrade to get cool bonuses?

The brilliant (& still active) fan made FreeCol project has also taken the original Colonization in some interesting directions too such as adding multiplayer, more colonization era nations (Russians, Swedish, Danish and Portuguese) bringing the original measly total of 4 up to 8 players, much better Indian trading, and maps of other Colonization era maps such as Australia & Africa. If you expand the era dates you could add even more colonizing nations (eg fans have been adding more to FreeCol such as Italian, Belgian, Prussian/German and Otoman).

Another area where they could totally go in a different direction is combat. Colonization had simple Civ1 style combat so why not expand that into zoomed in tactical combat mode. Amplitude certainly have plenty of experience in that area with Endless Legend. The often forgotten about Colonization style game called Conquest of the New World had a very Heroes of Might & Magic style chessboard tactical battle mode that they could take and expand into something way better!

Theres plenty of other examples and cool enhancement ideas out there from good Colonial era strategy games like Imperialism series, Anno 1404, Settlers series, and more...

Hope those guys make this dream a reality one day!

Any one else got fun suggestions for a future Amplitude Colonization style game?

Geändert von Blake00 (03. Februar 2020 um 10:04 Uhr)
    Blakes Sanctum:
    - Total Conversion mods: Quest for Glory IV 3D Hexen, Star Trek Doom 2, & Star Wars Civilization 2
    - Game Shrines: Age of Wonders, Babylon 5 Fan Games, Civilization, Command & Conquer, Elder Scrolls, Dune Games, Final Fantasy, Freelancer, Heroes of Might & Magic, Imperium Galactica, Master of Magic, Quest for Glory, Starflight, & Star Trek Games
    - MovieTV Shrines: Lord Of The Rings & Hobbit, & Star Trek
    - Emulation

Registrierter Benutzer
    I'm looking forward to Humankind yet, about Colonization... we will see. I guess I really would love to see a better remake then the Civ4-"clone".

If Amplitude will be the right one to do it ... I'm unsure. I don't know the endelss series pretty much yet, mainly because scifi or fantasy are simply not my theme. As far I can see from Let's plays, endless space 2 feels quite boring (to me). I'm always asking myself when finaly the gameplay will start - just now it seems like endless ^^ poping up menu windows will be a main part of gameplay. Maybe these impressions are wrong, but thats it so far. I am anyway looking forward to Humankind and I would not judge a Colonize successor before I can put my fingers on, or see - at least - some deeper gameplay. Lets hope the best.